Zendesk builds software for better customer relationships. It empowers organizations to improve customer engagement and better understand their customers. Zendesk products are easy to use and implement. They give organizations the flexibility to move quickly, focus on innovation, and scale with their growth. Based in San Francisco, Zendesk has operations in the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America. Learn more at www.zendesk.com.
As a result of our growing operations in the APAC region, we’re seeking a Staff Engineer to join our Melbourne office.
Working within the Operations team you will focus on sharing your technical experience to mentor your peers and improve our services. You will also regularly work with our development teams to increase the reliability and performance of our apps and the platform.
What you get to do everyday:
- Work to provide simple, elegant solutions to complex problems
- Contribute to making our infrastructure simple, reliable, and easy to operate
- Participate in diverse projects and collaborate with multiple engineering teams
- Use a wide variety of technologies, wear lots of hats (actual hats optional)
- Work alongside teammates in Singapore, Copenhagen, Dublin, San Francisco, and Madison to improve the platform and keep on-call to daylight hours
- Eat lunch with a bunch of genuine and fun people
What you bring to the role:
Programming and automated management of Linux systems are the foundations of what we do and you should have practical experience of both at scales of millions of concurrent users or equivalent. However, as we use a wide variety of technologies we expect everyone will need time to learn how to work with each of them.
As a member of this team, you’ll join us in striving to encourage the adoption of DevOps practices across engineering, as well as the Melbourne tech community. When you see a new technology or a better way of doing things, we want to see you take the initiative and champion adoption.
What the stack looks like:
- Our platform runs on Ubuntu and Centos LTS releases
- Our servers live in AWS, GCP, and co-located data centres
- Our services deploy to bare metal, Xen, ECS, Docker, Lambda, and Kubernetes
- Our data is stored in MySQL, Redis, Kafka, ELK, Cassandra, Riak, and more
- Our computer runs on Hadoop, Amazon Redshift, and GCP Dataflows
- Our team manages all of this using Chef, SparkleFormation, and Terraform
- And our software is written using Ruby, Scala, Python, Go, and sometimes PHP
Culture and Benefits:
We have 150+ Staff in our Melbourne office and it is home to some of our most successful, emerging products such as Insights, Apps Marketplace, Satisfaction Prediction, Automatic Answers, and Embeddables. We approach work with calm, focus, and a sense of humour whilst keeping sane working hours.
Perks include four months gender neutral parental leave, corporate hospital cover, Zendesk stock, and flexible working hours. Our CBD office comes with fully provisioned fridges and relaxed social spaces. You’ll find board games, table tennis, group coding sessions, public talks, and baked goods are frequent occurrences. Social responsibility is something we believe in and regularly volunteer with our community partners with the full support of the company.
Individuals seeking employment at Zendesk are considered without regards to race, colour, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status or sexual orientation.