AGL is one of Australia's leading integrated energy companies and largest ASX listed owner, operator and developer of renewable energy generation in the country. Drawing on over 175 years of experience, AGL operates retail and merchant energy businesses, power generation assets and an upstream gas portfolio.
AGL has one of Australia's largest retail energy and dual fuel customer bases. AGL has a diverse power generation portfolio including base, peaking and intermediate generation plants, spread across traditional thermal generation as well as renewable sources including hydro, wind, landfill gas and biomass. AGL is taking action toward creating a sustainable energy future for our investors, communities and customers.
About the Role
AGL Loy Yang owns and operates a 2,200 megawatt Power Station. The power station supplies approximately one third of Victoria’s power requirements or 10 per cent of total generation for the National Electricity Market.
We currently have Multi-Purpose Operator opportunities available at AGL Loy Yang based in the Latrobe Valley. These roles are responsible for assisting in the operation of ashing and fuel handling system, inspection, detection, monitoring and reporting of plants faults and undertaking appropriate actions.
- Maintain effective operation of the ash plant including the ash hoppers, ash pit, ash disposal pumps, sluice systems and the return water system/ strainers
- Maintain effective operation of precipitator mixing bowls
- Clean the build-up of coal from bunker outlet gates and feeder throats so as to maintain the flow of coal onto coal feeder conveyors as required
- Operate apparatus and/or plant both remotely and locally where authorised to do so
- Monitor the physical condition of plant and apparatus
- Record and communicate events, plant or procedural problems via the defect reporting system and shift logs
- Assist in solving problems associated with plant maintenance and operation
- Operate mobile plant such as bob-cats and front-end loaders in removing safety obstructions and for clearing away operational spills
- An understanding of mechanical and electrical systems and components
- Electrical technical/trade background preferred
- Motivation and capacity to progress through the operations ranks to Unit Controller level
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Solid communications skills both written and verbal
- Strong commitment to occupational health and safety
- Heavy industry experience preferred
- Licensed to operate mobile plant
- Willingness to work rotating shifts
Successful candidates will undertake a Multi-Purpose Operator training course (nominally One month) and will work a nine day fortnight during this training. Upon completion of the training course, appointee will be classified as a Multi-Purpose Operator and work 1x7 shift work in the Operations group.
What’s in it for you
You’ll be working onsite of one of Australia’s largest power stations in a beautiful rural setting and get the opportunity to work with some of the most engaged and innovative employees in the business.
You will be exposed to more opportunities to advance your skills and career, working in a company the size of ours the sky’s the limit for your career aspirations and we’re focused on investing in you.
It truly is an exciting time to be part of AGL Energy as we lead the way in generating sustainable energy solutions for all Australians. With a heritage of over 175 years and listed in the top 50 companies on the ASX, AGL offers a genuinely diverse, safe, and supportive work environment, which fosters a culture of achievement and personal development.
How to Apply
Apply now to the AGL Careers team via the online application link.